Monday, March 21, 2011

Carnival

We were relieved to find that farmers had followed the frost into the city and their prices had dropped just as quickly as the temperature had. I woke from my nap to the sound of heavy furniture being moved across the floor and out the door. Eliza had a theory that when the next frost came, it would kill all of the pestilence on the furniture so I did my share, and sat on the floor. When Joseph appeatred, he had toys for the children and a thank you for Eliza and I. I came with hime down to the markette, which had turned into a festival, full of gossip and joy, and so much food! And it didn't hurt too much that Nathaniel, my long time crush, was there. My mind instantly went to the daisies he had sent me, not too long ago, once he whipered in my ear. As we walked up Mainstreet, we spoke of marriage. "When your Mother returns, which i'm sure will be soon, she'll kick me off the front porch and try to marry you off to some Lawyer" Nathaniel stated. " I won't let her" I promised.
                Sincerely,
                        Mattie Cook

No comments:

Post a Comment