Monday, March 21, 2011

The Happiness that Frost can Bring

During the nights that passed, the children were restless, as we all wished for the frost. As one child would fall asleep, another would wake up. Eliza and I had to take shifts to keep up with the cycle. One tired day, a doctor Who's name I didn't catch, came to draw blood from the children. I held Nell's hand as the needle penetrated her skin, and I held Eliza's hand as she held the boys' hands. Poor Eliza. But not all was bad. On the night October 23, I slept. But our nit-wit cal Silas, wouldn't leave me alone. "Silas,  leave me alone. I haven't slept in years." I said as I reluctantly got up the let the creature out, still half asleep. I gazed out the window. Frost. "No." I told Silas simply. "Starving men dream of food, I dream of Frost." But... This was no dream. "Eliza!! Eliza!!" I shook her recklessly. "Eliza, wake up! The frost. The end of the fever!!" Then Eliza mumbled "Lord have mercy. We made it!!" as we threw our arms around each other and jumped with joy.
                             Sincerely,
                                  Mattie Cook

No comments:

Post a Comment