Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Sincerely Mattie Cook

That day, The President rode through the great streets of Philadelphia. That seamed to be the only bright spot in my day, because it had been over a week that passed since The Frost had come and Mother had not. Business was as usual. One Customer came in, and another went out. No one caught my eye in particular.... That is, until the beautifully, tired, ragged woman dressed in country clothes walked through the door. As I came to see her face, I couldn't move. Neither could Nathaniel, who was by my side to witness the whole thing. Mother had brought a good friend by the name of Mrs. Ludington, and, a surprising interest for Nathaniel. That I liked. As Mother and I swapped stories. She told me of her restless nights, and I told her of the death. In Eliza's family and in ours. "Poor William. Poor Eliza", She exclaimed. Well, help me up stairs, Mattie. I need to rest." As I held back my sobs, I looked out the window, thanking God for all he had done. As I helped Mother up the stairs, i realized that Mother Smith was right. The Lord would work it all out.
                                    Sincerely,
                                                   Mattie Cook

No comments:

Post a Comment