Friday, March 18, 2011

Children of the Illness

Eliza dismissed the woman in which she had been helping. Then, she led Nell and I to the small home that she shared with her brother, by the name  of Joseph. His two  sons, Roger and William, also lived in their house. Joseph, sick in bed, greeted me with a weak smile. The boys ran to Eliza, steeling a hug, and looking questionably at Nell and I. That night I ate well and slept  fully. The next day, Mother Smith, came to care for Joseph and the boys. Mother proved to me how useless I could be.  That night, when Eliza came home, I made sure that she had no work to do, as I did the next morning. That day Eliza allowed me to accompany her on her daily rounds. When we came home, we were shocked to see that the children had fallen ill.
                                         Sincerely,
                                                  Mattie Cook

No comments:

Post a Comment